Kyoto has a huge range of hotels to suit all budgets and tastes. Here are our top picks in every budget category and class. All of these are personally inspected and chosen based on location, quality and value.
The Old Modern Garden Suite
As noted above, we only include hotels in good locations. If you’d like more information on the best neighborhoods to stay in, check out Where to Stay in Kyoto.
Hyatt Regency guest room
As well as browsing our Kyoto hotel choices, it’s worth searching on Booking.com and Agoda.com to see if there are any special discounts or special offers available for the dates of your stay. While you are there you can read reviews left by previous guests too.
Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
Kyoto has some fine luxury hotels, including offerings from top international hotel brands. We’ve picked and ranked the best of the best.
Ritz Carlton Kyoto guestroom
Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
Some of the best values in Kyoto accommodations can be found in the mid-range bracket. Here’s where you’ll find hotels a step up from standard-issue business hotels, but with prices more humane than those charged by the luxury chains.
Cross Hotel Kyoto guestroom – image © Booking.com
Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
Fear not: You can find comfortable and clean budget hotels in Kyoto for less than it would cost in most major Western cities. We cover standard hotels, as well as capsule hotels and modern hostels.
Hotel Sunroute Kyoto – image © Booking.com
Best Kyoto Hotels for Families
We know what it’s like to travel with children. Here’s a list of the best Kyoto hotels for families that we’ve personally inspected.
The Thousand Kyoto guestroom – image © Booking.com
Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
Why not stay in an intimate and original boutique hotel while in Kyoto? We’ve personally inspected all the boutique hotels listed here.
Junei Hotel guestroom – image © Chris Rowthorn
The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
Kyoto is packed with great accommodation, but how to find the true standouts? Here is a list of what we consider to be the best places to stay in Kyoto.
Ritz Carlton Kyoto
Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
If you’re looking to get maximum bang for your buck, these Kyoto properties (from across all price ranges) represent superb value for money.
Solaria Nishitetsu guest room
The Most Romantic Hotels and Ryokan in Kyoto
If you’re heading to Kyoto with someone special, you’ll want to stay in a truly romantic hotel or ryokan. Here are our top picks.
The Old Modern Garden Suite
Kyoto Vacation Rentals
Kyoto has some truly memorable vacation rentals. We’ve selected the best Japanese-style vacation rentals so you and your family or friends can sample the Japanese way of living.
Amber House interior
Kyoto Machiya (Traditional Kyoto Townhouses)
A machiya is a traditional Kyoto townhouse. They combine the very best elements of a ryokan (traditional design and soothing architecture) with the convenience and comfort of a vacation rental.
Indigo House interior
If you want the full Japanese experience, you should try a night in a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn). We list the very best ryokan in the city, in every budget class.
Izuyasu Ryokan guestroom
Best Kyoto Hostels and Capsule Hotels
Kyoto is loaded with cheap, well-run budget accommodations, making the city a natural choice for backpackers. Here’s a list of the best guesthouses in Kyoto, all of which we’ve personally inspected.
Kyoto Morris Hostel – image © Booking.com
Where To Stay If Kyoto Is Fully Booked
Kyoto’s hotels and ryokan can be fully booked in March, April, May, October and November. But don’t give up if you can’t find a room in Kyoto! You can stay nearby in Osaka, Otsu, Nara or even Nagoya.
Kyoto Hotel Guide
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Sightseeing
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid Range Hotel in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels in Kyoto
- Kyoto Ryokan
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world